Colonial Hospital

Western Australia’s first dedicated hospital building opened on the present RPH site in Murray Street on 14th July 1855.

The convict built hospital was named the “Colonial Hospital” then renamed Perth Public Hospital in 1894, in 1921 to Perth Hospital then to “Royal Perth Hospital” in 1946. ┬áThe original hospital building still exists on the corner of Murray Street and Victoria Square although later extensions built to accommodate outpatients in the 1920’s now hide the Murray Street facades.